Recent Publications related to Oncology
Guidelines for Integrative Oncology 2009
Journal of the Society of Integrative Oncology September 2009
Hematology Oncology Clinics of North America August 2008-
The whole issue dedicated to Integrative Oncology
Integrative Oncology Service in a large cancer center
Hematology Oncology Clinics of North America August 2008
Clinical Consultation in Integrative Oncology
Journal of the Society of Integrative Oncology Summer 2008
Nutritional Supplements in Cancer Care
South Med J. 2005
J Altern Complement Med. 2008
Journal of the Society of Integrative Oncology Spring 2008
Credentialing Complementary Practitioners in a Large Cancer Center
Journal of the Society of Integrative Oncology Fall 2008
Complementary Therapies in Palliative Care
European Journal of Palliative Care Part 1 Sep-Oct 2008, Part 2 Nov- Dec 2008
Teaching Complementary Medicine in an Oncology Department
Journal of Cancer Education 2008
An Approach to Teaching Physicians about Complementary Medicine in the Treatment of Cancer
Integrative Cancer Therapies.2004
Effect of homeopathic remedies on breast cancer cells
International Journal of Oncology 2010
Integrative medicine options during radiation therapy
Journal of the Society of Integrative Oncology. 2010
Homeopathy in Cancer Care
Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine 2010
Interactions of chemotherapy with nutritional supplements
Journal of the Society of Integrative Oncology 2010
Integrating Dietary Supplements in Cancer Care
Integrative Cancer Therapies 2013
Integrative Oncology and Exceptional Patients
Cancer Strategies Journal Spring 2013
The Oncologist 2013
Effective communication about the use of complementary and integrative medicine in cancer care
Exceptional Patients Narratives of Connections
Palliative and Supportive care 2014
Integrating Nutritional Supplements in Oncology
Current oncology Reports 2014
Nutritional Supplements - Questions and Challenges
Future Oncology 2015
Cancer Survivorship- The Added Value of Integrative Medicine
Current Oncology Reports 2015
Frenkel M, Ben Arye E. Communicating with patients about the use of complementary and integrative medicine in cancer care.
in L. Cohen , M. Markman (eds) Integrative Oncology: Incorporating Complementary Medicine into Conventional care. 2008. Humana Press, Totwa, NJ.
Basch , Ullbright C, Cohen L, Frenkel M. Complementary and Integrative Medicine in Cancer Care. In DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg’s Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology (Cancer: Principles & Practice (DeVita)(2 Vol.) 8 Edition 2008. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA
Cohen L, Russell N, Biegler K, Frenkel M,Integrative Oncology In Holland JC, Psycho-oncology, Second Edition 2010, Oxford University Press New York NY.
Cohen L, Russell N, Garcia K, Frenkel M The Role of Integrative Oncology in Cancer Care
In Holland-Frei Cancer Medicine, 8th Edition 2010 by Waun Ki Hong, Donald W. Kufe, and
Robert C. Bast PMPH USA.
Ben Arye E, Norton D, Frenkel M. Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Nutrition and Cancer Care. In Del Fabrio E, Bruera E. "Nutrition and Cancer" Oxford University Press New York NY
Frenkel M. Lung Cancer and Integrative Medicine. In Abrams DL, Weil A. "Integrative Oncology " Second edition Oxford University Press New York NY Oct 2014
Homeopathy for The Home and The Family, Jerusalem: Keter Publishing House, 1996.
Migraine: A Comprehensive Guide to Effective Treatment, The Natural Way. As part of a series of books on natural medicine for the lay public. Medical Editor. Jerusalem: Keter Publishing House , 1997.
Colds and Flu: A Comprehensive Guide to Effective Treatment, The Natural Way. As part of a series of books on natural medicine for the lay public. Medical Editor. Jerusalem: Keter Publishing House, 1997.
Back Pain: A Comprehensive Guide to Effective Treatment, The Natural Way. As part of a series of books on natural medicine for the lay public. Medical Editor. Jerusalem: Keter Publishing House, 1997.
Homeopathy The Complete Guide. Medical Editor. Jerusalem: Keter Publishing House, 1998.
Brain Longevity. Medical Editor. Jerusalem: Keter Publishing House, 1996.
Research and Special Projects
Exceptional Patient study
CAM in Cuba
Effects of homeopathic remedies on breast cancer cells
Educating CAM Practitioners about Integrative Medicine
Educating physicians about integrative Medicine in Cancer care
Integrating CAM into the medical school curriculum
Brazil - Discussion on CAM use in cancer care (in Portuguese)
India - Developing research on breast cancer and homeopathy
Brazil - Discussion on Integrative Medicine in Oncology (in Portuguese)
Supportive care Presentation in Alber Einstein San Paulo Brazil
New Zealand - Discussion on CAM
US - Complementary Treatments for Cancer
US – Ralph Moss report on integrative oncology facilities in Houston
US - Dietary Supplements Should Spur Doctor-Patient Discussions
US - A 5-step combo to prevent and recover from cancer
(Youtube) US- Communication issues related to CAM and cancer care
1. Frenkel M. Acute Otitis Media. Postgraduate Medicine, October, 1987;82(5):84-86
2. Frenkel M. Believing The Unbelievable. Southern Medical Journal, September, 1989;82:1195-1196.
3. Frenkel M, Lyons L. Spontaneous Pneumomediastium. Postgraduate Medicine, January, 1991;89(1):257-259.
4. Frenkel M. Non-hormonal treatment alternatives during menopause and beyond.
Harefuah Journal of the Israel Medical Association, January 15, 1999;136(2):144-148.
5. Frenkel M, Ben-Arye E. The Growing Need to Teach about Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Questions and Challenges. Academic Medicine, March, 2001;76(3):251-254.
6. Ben-Arye E, Frenkel M. Between metaphor and certainty: Teaching an introductory course in complementary medicine. Harefuah Journal of the Israel Medical Association,. 2001;140(9): 855-859.
7. Frenkel M, Hermoni D. Effects of homeopathic intervention on medication consumption in atopic and allergic disorders. Altern Ther Health Med. 2002;8(1):76-79.
8. Frenkel M, Frenkel J. Oculomotor nerve palsy treated with acupuncture: A case report. Altern Ther Health Med. Mar-Apr. 2002;8(2),118-120.
9. Frenkel M, Ben-Arye E. Complementary and alternative medicine and the need for evidence-based criticism - Special theme commentary , Academic Medicine. September 2002;77(9):870-871.
10. Frenkel M, Ben-Arye E. Nutritional supplements and cancer, Harefuah Journal of
the Israel Medical Association, October, 2002; 141(10) 893-897.
11. Frenkel M, Borkan JM. An Approach for Integrating Complementary-Alternative
medicine into primary care. Fam Pract. Jun 2003;20(3):324-332..
12. Ben-Arye E, Ziv M., Frenkel M., Lavi I, Rosenman D., Complementary Medicine and
Psoriasis: Linking the Patient’s Outlook with Evidence Based Medicine.
Journal of Dermatology, (207), 302-307; 2003.
13. Ben-Arye E, Frenkel M*, Margalit R. Approaching Complementary and Alternative
Medicine Use in Patients with Cancer Questions and Challenges.
Journal of Ambulatory Care Manage, Jan 2004, 27 (1) 2-11.
( *Corresponding Author)
14. Ben Arye E, Frenkel M. Doctor, patient and cancer in the encounter of
complementary and conventional medicine.
Israel Journal of Family Practice March 2004 Vol 14 No. 114 pg 10-16.
15. Ben Arye E, Frenkel M*. An Approach to Teaching Physicians about Complementary
Medicine in the Treatment of Cancer. Integrative Cancer Therapies.
Integr Cancer Ther. 2004 Sep;3(3):208-213. (* Corresponding Author)
16. Frenkel M, Ben Arye E, Hermoni D. An Approach to Educating Family Practice
Residents and Family Physicians about Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
Complementary Therapies in Medicine. Volume 12, Issues 2-3 , June-September 2004,
17. Ben Arye E , Frenkel M, Ziv M. An Approach to Teaching Dermatologists about
Complementary Medicine . Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
Oct 2004, Vol. 10, No. 5 pg 899-904.
18. Frenkel M, BenArye E, Baldwin CD, Sierpina V. Approach to communicating with
patients about the use of nutritional supplements in cancer care.
South Med J. 2005 Mar; 98(3):289-94.
19. Sierpina VS, Frenkel M. Acupuncture: a clinical review.
South Med J. 2005 Mar;98(3):330-7.
20. Ben-Arye E, Bar-Sela G, Frenkel M, Kuten A, Hermoni D. Is A Bio-Psycho-Social-
Spiritual Approach Relevant to Cancer Treatment? A Study of Patients and Oncology
Staff Members on Issues of Complementary Medicine and Spirituality.
Support Care Cancer. 2006 Feb;14(2):147-52. Epub 2005 Aug 16.
21. Ben Arye E, Frenkel M, Hermoni D. An approach to teaching primary care physicians
how to integrate complementary medicine into their daily practices: a pilot study.
J Altern Complement Med. 2006 Jan-Feb;12(1):79-83.
22. Ben Arye E, Gamus D, Frenkel M, Hermoni D. Complementary medicine research in
Israel between the years 1994-2004. Harefuah- Israel Medical Association Journal.
2006 Jun;145(6):441-5, 469.
23. Frenkel M. Integrating Complementary and Integrative Medicine into Primary Care .
Texas Family Physician. Oct 2006 Vol 97 (4):36-7.
24. Applebaum D, Kliegler B, Frenkel M, Barrett B, et al Natural and Traditional Medicine
in CUBA: Lessons for Medical Education in the U.S. Academic Medicine
25. Frenkel M, Frye A, Heliker D, Finkle T, Yzaguirre D, Bulik R, Sierpina V.
Lessons Learned from Complementary and Integrative Medicine Curriculum Change
in a Medical School. Med Educ. 2007 Feb;41(2):205-13.
26. Sierpina V, Bulik R, Frenkel M, Baldwin C, Gerik S, Walters D,
Creating Sustainable Curricular Change: Lessons Learned from an Alternative
Therapies Educational Initiative. Acad Med. 2007 Apr;82(4):341-350.
27. Ben-Arye E, Gamus D, Frenkel M, Hermoni D. Complementary medicine research in
primary care in Israel. The Israel Journal of Family Practice. 2007;17(134):12-16.
28. Frenkel M, BenArye E., Geva H, Klein A. Educating CAM Practitioners about
Integrative Medicine: An Approach to Overcoming the Communication Gap with
Conventional Healthcare Practitioners.
J Altern Complement Med. 2007 Apr;13(3):387-91.
29. Frenkel M. Complementary/Alternative Therapies for the treatment of breast cancer.
Commentary. Breast Diseases: A year Book Quarterly. July- Sept 2007.
Vol 18 No. 2 : 139-140.
30. Ben-Arye E, Shturman E, Klein A, Frenkel M. Attitudes of immigrants from the former
Soviet Union towards complementary medicine. Harefuah. 2007 Aug;146(8):584-8,
31. Sierpina VS, Schneeweiss R, Frenkel MA, Bulik R, Maypole J. Barriers, Strategies,
and Lessons Learned from Complementary and Alternative Medicine Curricular
Initiatives. Acad Med. 2007 Oct;82(10):946-950.
32. Nedrow AR, Heitkemper M, Frenkel M, Mann D, Wayne P, Hughes E.
Collaborations between Allopathic and Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Health Professionals: Four Initiatives. Acad Med. 2007 Oct;82(10):962-966.
33. Ben-Arye E, Scharf M, Frenkel M. How Should Complementary Practitioners and
Physicians Communicate? A Cross-Sectional Study from Israel.
J Am Board Fam Med Nov 2007 20(6):565-571
34. Ben-Arye E, Frenkel M, Bar-Sela G, Stashefsky Margalit R, Hermoni D, Kuten A.
Teaching complementary medicine at an academic oncology department.
Journal of Cancer Education, Volume 23, Issue 1 January 2008 , pages 46 – 50.
35. Ben-Arye E, Frenkel M. Klein A, Scharf M. Attitudes toward integration of complementary and alternative medicine in primary care: Perspectives of patients, physicians and complementary practitioners.
Patient Educ Couns. 2008 Mar;70(3):395-402.
36. Russell NC, Sumler SS, Beinhorn CM, Frenkel M*.
Role of Massage Therapy in Cancer Care. J Altern Complement Med.
2008 Mar ,14(2):209-14. (* Corresponding Author)
37. Ben-Arye E, Frenkel M. Referring to Complementary and Alternative Medicine-
a Possible Tool for Implementation.
Complement Ther Med. 2008 Dec;16(6):325-30. Epub 2008 Apr 18.
38. Frenkel M, Ben Arye E, Sierpina V. Integrating complementary and alternative medicine
into conventional primary care: The patient perspective.
Explore (NY). 2008 May-Jun;4(3):178-86.
39. Richardson M, Babiank A, Frenkel M*. Music Therapy in cancer care.
Journal of the Society of Integrative Oncology. 2008 Spring;6(2):76-81.
(* Corresponding Author)
40. Frenkel M. Components of a Successful Integrative Medicine Clinical Consultation
Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology. Vol6,No 3 (Summer), 2008:pp 129-133..
41. Baynham-Fletcher L, Babiak-Vazquez AE, Cuello D, Frenkel M*.
Credentialing Complementary Practitioners at a Large Academic Cancer Center.
Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology. . Vol6,No 4 (Fall), 2008:pp 169-175.
(* Corresponding Author)
42. Frenkel M, Cohen L.Preface. - Editorial to an Issue dedicated to Integrative Oncology:
Complementary and Integrative Medicine and Cancer Care.
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2008 Aug;22(4):xv-xx.
43. Frenkel M, Cohen L. Integration of Complementary and Integrative Medicine in a Major
Cancer Center. Hematology Oncology Clinics of North America. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2008 Aug;22(4):727-36.
44. Frenkel M, Shah V. Complementary and integrative medicine in palliative care. Part 1.
European Journal of Palliative Care. Sept -Oct 2008. Vol 15(5) 238-243
45. Frenkel M, Shah V. Complementary and integrative medicine in palliative care. Part 2.
European Journal of Palliative Care. Nov -Dec 2008 Vol 15(5) 288-293.
46. Ben Arye, Karkabi C, Keshet Y, Frenkel M. Attitudes of Arab and Jewish patients
towards integration of complementary medicine in primary-care clinics in Israel:
A Cross- cultural study. Soc Sci Med. 2009 Jan;68(1):177-82. Epub 2008 Nov 5.
47. Sapire K, Frenkel M. Physician Discussion Group: Away to explore Meaning in Medicine-
Addressing physicians needs in a cancer center. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology
Vol 6 No. 4 Fall 2008 pg 179.
48. Deng GE, Frenkel M, Cohen L, et al. Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines for Integrative Oncology: Complementary Therapies and Botanicals. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology, Vol 7, No 3 (Summer), 2009: pp 85–120.
49. Tung CS, Sun CC, Cohen L, Frenkel M, Ramondetta LM, Smith JA, Parker P, Bodurka DC. Complementary and alternative medicine: What do oncology healthcare providers think?. Journal of Clinical Oncology 27(suppl):e20614, 2009.
50. Frenkel M, Gupta A. Interactions of Docetaxel with nutritional supplements. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology,Summer 2010.
51. Thomas J, Curtiss B, Sumler S, Frenkel M. Complementary and integrative medicine with Radiation Therapy. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology Vol 8, No 2 (Spring), 2010: pp 65–80.
52. Frenkel M, Mishra B, Yang P, Cohen L, Sen S, Banerji P, Banerji P. Cytotoxic effects of ultra diluted remedies on breast cancer cells. International Journal of Oncology,2010; 36: 395-403.
53. Frenkel M, Ben Arye E, Cohen L. Communication in Cancer Care: Discussing Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Integr Cancer Ther. 2010 Mar 31.
54. Frenkel M. Homeopathy in Cancer Care. Altern Ther Health Med. May-June. 2010;16(3):12-16.
55.Frenkel M, Ari SL, Engebretson J, Peterson N, Maimon Y, Cohen L, Kacen L. Activism
among exceptional patients with cancer. Support Care Cancer. 2010 May 29.
56.Frenkel M, Cohen L, Peterson N, Swint K, Palmer L, Bruera E. Integrative Medicine Consultation Service in a Comprehensive Cancer Center: Findings and Outcomes. Integr Cancer Ther September 2010 vol. 9 no. 3 276-283
57. Frenkel M. Curcumin: Is there a place to integrate it in cancer care? Updates in Oncology. Vol 5 Sept 2011. Pg 45-6.
58. Schiff E , Frenkel M , Shilo M , Levy M , Schachter L, Freifeld F , Steinfeld I, Maizes V, Ben-Arye E. Bridging the Physician and CAM Practitioner Communication Gap: Suggested Framework for Communication Between Physicians and CAM Practitioners Based on a Cross Professional Survey from Israel. Patient, Education and Counseling. 2011 Nov;85(2):188-93.
59. Naing A, Stephen SK, Frenkel M, et al. Prevalence of Complementary Medicine Use in a Phase I Clinical Trials Program: .
The M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Experience. Cancer. 2011 Nov 15;117(22):5142-50
60. Ben-Arye E, Schiff E , Shapira C, Frenkel M, Shalom T, Steiner M. Modeling an Integrative Oncology Program within a Community-Centered Oncology Service in Israel. Patient Educ Couns. 2012 Mar 6
61. Frenkel M, Abrams D, Ladas E, et al. Integrating Dietary Supplements into Cancer Care Integr Cancer Ther. 2013 Feb 25. [Epub ahead of print]
62. Ben-Arye E, Schiff E, Zollman C, Heusser P, Mountford P, Frenkel M, Bar-Sela G, Lavie O. Integrating complementary medicine in supportive cancer care models across four continents. Med
Oncol. 2013 Jun;30(2):511. doi: 10.1007/s12032-013-0511-1. Epub 2013 Feb 23.
63.Frenkel M. Refusing Treatment. The Oncologist. May 2013 vol. 18 no. 5 634-636 (IF 3.91) 64.Frenkel M, Abrams D, Ladas E, et al. Integrating Dietary Supplements into Cancer Care. Integr Cancer Ther. Sept 2013;12 369-384
65. Frenkel M. The Exceptional Patient in Cancer Care. Global Adv Health Med. 2013;2(Suppl):18A. DOI: 10.7453/gahmj.2013.097CP.S18A
66. Frenkel M, Cohen L. Effective communication about the use of complementary and integrative medicine in cancer care. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2014 Jan;20(1):12-8. (IF 1.69)
67. Garcia MK, Driver L, Haddad R, Wei V, Lee RT, Frenkel M, Cohen L. Acupuncture for Treatment of Uncontrolled Pain in Cancer Patients: A Pragmatic Pilot Study.Integr Cancer Ther. Volume 13 Issue 2 March 2014 pp. 133 - 140 (IF 2.35)